Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I have a few questions about amnesia, can you help me?

I'm a writer, and my latest project is a story about a girl involved in a hit and run which leaves her with amnesia. I've never had amnesia, no one I've ever known has had amnesia, and I haven't gotten very far in my research. So naturally I have a few questions, mostly about plausibility. I will award best answer to the most helpful, and feel free to leave me a link to any questions of yours after your answer, I鈥檒l see if can help you. Now for my questions:

1) Is it possible that, after being hit by a car and consequently hitting her head on the pavement, the MC (main character) would lose all memory of the events leading up to the accident, the events which led her to be in that place at that time? Is it plausible for the period forgotten to round up to, say, a year? What about two?

2) What are the chances of the MC falling into a coma, for a period of 1-3 weeks?

3) What other injuries would the MC most likely have?

4) What are common triggers for remembering, and how much would each account for?

5) Is there any medical terminology I should include?

Thank you so much for your time and help!I have a few questions about amnesia, can you help me?
I've never suffered from amnesia, nor have I been in a car accident, so I can't answer your questions 1-4. But I had some spare time on my hands and things to avoid, so I Googled something (I suggest you use Google too.) You could search with "people who've had amnesia" or with something similar.



If you're going to write about amnesia, yes, you should use the proper terminology (such as anterograde amnesia and retrograde amnesia), because then you come across as more believable. And for that, you need to have the basic knowledge of amnesia. You can read the links I put in the end of this answer.



There are also stories about real people who've had amnesia. Read them; learn from them. Research is the key if you're writing about a subject that's been used countless of times in TV-shows, movies and novels.



Good luck!I have a few questions about amnesia, can you help me?
Ummm I had something but I forgot.

No comments:

Post a Comment