Friday, March 9, 2012

Does Roswell sound like a girls name or a boys name?

I choose the name for one of my main female characters. I know she is commonly called Rozzie, but to of my other characters only call her Roswell or Miss Dereks. Roswell actually named herself after being in a car accident and waking up with amnesia in Roswell, New Mexico. Should I keep it or change it to a more girlish name.Does Roswell sound like a girls name or a boys name?
An author should keep in mind the difference between creativity and being kre8tiv.



Be as cute/original/creative as you like but remember that you can lose your audience if you go too far.

It's difficult to remain interested in a character if the name is blatantly outlandish.

The readers tend to focus on the name instead of the story.



That said, I think you've found a good hook for your character.

In real life, I would be dismissive of anyone named for a geopolitical location.

For the sake of a story line and this character, I find it intriguing without being ridiculous.



As long as you explain the name (once and very briefly!), I think readers would accept the name quite well.

It's not completely off the wall, has a reasonable explanation, and sounds interesting.



And, with the nn Rozzie, it is quite acceptable for a female character.

Yes, it could be masculine but I think it suits a female character better.
Don't refer to it in full, just get her to refer to herself as 'Rozzie' or Roz', which is far more common - shortened form of Rosalyn, etc. Only let slip the Roswell bit as an afterthought, as though she's embarrassed of it.Does Roswell sound like a girls name or a boys name?
I really like the meaning behind the name. I personally think of a boy when I hear the name (reminds me of "Maxwell"), however, it seems to hold a subtle meaning to the story.



Keep it! :)
Since it's for a story, you can keep the name. I guess Rosewell sounds more feminine than Roswell though.Does Roswell sound like a girls name or a boys name?
To me, it sounds like it could be either, but leaning slightly more to masculine.
It sounds more like a boy's name, but I like it. It's different.
in my opinion, i think roswell sounds more like a boys name--but its up to you.
boy name

change it
  • car stereo
  • batman arkham city xbox
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment